THIS WORKSHOP IS NOW FULL! PLEASE CALL 703-525-9642 TO ADD YOUR NAME TO THE WAIT LIST
Yoga teachers and healthcare professionals have a special responsibility to handle all their interactions with students and clients with great care. However, honing the special skill set required to work with students who have faced trauma requires a thorough understanding and special sensitivity of the unique needs of this community.
We've teamed up with the Veterans Yoga Project to offer an extraordinary opportunity for intensive training in a proven, mindful approach to teaching yoga to and caring for veterans and others who are struggling with post-traumatic stress and other trauma-related psychological difficulties.
Led by trauma expert Daniel J. Libby, PhD, this Veterans Yoga Project training consists of a balance of practice and lecture/discussion. At the end of the training, participants will understand the symptoms of post-traumatic stress and other trauma-related disorders, how those symptoms are related to underlying neurobiology, and how to use this understanding to most effectively teach individuals recovering from trauma.
In this Level One training, we will explore:
- The development, course, and consequences of trauma-related disorders;
- The psychotherapeutic treatment of trauma-related disorders and how yoga fits into an integrative treatment approach;
- Special considerations and cautions when providing yoga therapy to veterans and other trauma-affected individuals;
- Specific practices that have been successfully used as a complement to mental health treatment, including breathwork, meditation, mindful movement, guided rest, and gratitude;
- Guiding principles, and resources found to be helpful for veterans coping with trauma, including a detailed treatment manual with an empirically-informed, clinically-tested 12-week protocol.
Friday April 29, 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Saturday April 30, 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Sunday May 1, 12:30 pm to 5:30 pm
TEACHER: Daniel Libby and the Veterans Yoga Project